[3830] HamCation N4A(@W4DUG/OTHERS) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 14 15:49:11 EST 2021

                    HamCation QSO Party - 2021

Call: N4A
Operator(s): W4LT K4LAW NX4N KM4SQS K2LYV
Station: W4DUG/OTHERS

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 12
Remote Operation

   80:   30     31
   40:   88     47
   20:  196    391
   15:   64     11
   10:    2      0
--------------------
Total:  380    480  Total Score = 860

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig : K3 (NX4N), FLEX 6700 (K4LAW), FLEX 6400 X2: 1 Remote at W4DUG, 1 at W4LT

Antennas : EF240X, C31XR, HALF WAVE VERTICAL, A3S, 2 Half waves in phase for
40M, SLOPING DIPOLE 80/75m (X2), StepIR DB18

N4A was operated by 5 separate Tampa ARC operators, Lou W4LT, Tom (a.k.a.
"Biff") K4LAW, Dave K2LYV, Joe KM4SQS and Chris NX4N. These operators
used either their home stations (in the case of W4LT, K4LAW and NX4N) and/or the
Tampa Amateur Radio Club's W4DUG internet remote operated Flex6400 transceiver
(in the case of K2LYV, KM4SQS and sometimes W4LT).

We had a potential of having three transmitters on the air at the same time,
however, due to scheduling, and this being Valentine Day's eve, we often had a
single transmitter on line, and had two signals on the air at the same time
sparingly. All our operations were from WCF/Hillsborough County Florida within
the EL88/87 Grid Squares.

So, essentially, we functioned as a "Distributed Multi Multi.  Our goal was
to make N4A available to as many people as possible on as many band/modes as
possible.

Highlight for W4LT was being called by FK8IK from New Caledonia(!) while on a
20m CW run. not very strong, but readable and literally unbelievable. I thought
he was in Guyana, but Michel corrected me ("New Cal Island Pacific")
and then I believed him. I was using my home station (Flex 6400 to KPA500 with
A3s at 40ft) and was literally amazed to be called by this rare DX, as well as
several JA ops after Michel around 2021z on 20m.

Sometimes fun, sometimes interesting, sometimes boring, sometimes a drag, but we
generally had fun.  I would guess that 75% of the operators that called us were
casual non contest ops.  We kept it casual... Less of a contest and more of a
extended rag chew operating event.

Thanks to the OARC HamCation folks for inviting us to this event.

73

Lu Romero - W4LT
Tampa ARC N4A operator wrangler