[3830] RTTY WPX NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 14 20:55:19 EST 2021

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2021

Call: NR6O
Operator(s): N6WM K6AW WD6T WX5S W6DMW N6RO
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley CA
Remote Operation

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Well.. id like to say this was a problem free test, but we had our share of
issues this time around.

the good news.. band totals were equal or higher on all bands except 20 and we
worked 10 more prefixes than last year.  Score up 600k vs last year.

the bad news, our remote coordination was not the best this go round causing
some confusion and near fatal hardware issues, and we had some general hardware
issues that cost us some time and caused some stress.

we are periodically in touch with the W4VP team, watching their station build
progress. they provided fun scoreboard rabbit chases..  you guys (well Guy and
Gal) did great, hard work paying off, and glad to see your fb station evolving
so you can take advantage of deep European prefixes and keep us w6ers in our
place hi hi.  fwiw do look at the qso totals ;-).

here is what was happening on the bands at Radio Oakley-

10/15m N6WM -15 meters was exponentially better this year, over 400 qso's vs
last run.  any Polar path EU was unubtanium, but the usual suspects non polar
were worked. (Canaries, Portugal, Spain).  Great JA runs on 15m also added to
the heft of the log.    -10m was pretty dead until Sunday mid day where the band
opened briefly to South America, producing a prefix as part of the just shy of
dozen qso's. cq was generally non productive.  remote from qth with a few hours
on site after fixing broken stuff.

20m K6AW - Steve did his normal stewardship of the 20m band, closing in on 900
qso's and a good haul of much needed prefixes.  he was remote from his home
qth.

40m WD6T and WX5S split.  WD6T operated the first half of 40 both evenings.
well starting in the afternoon.  40 has been opening early, causing us to
investigate antenna separation to keep from qrming upper bands.  when he wants
EU, 15 wants JA, pointing the stacks at each other resulting in expected
badness.  WD6T did great working as many EU prefixes as possible.  WX5S worked
the early am to finish shift both nights, working all he could find and sticking
around till Asia Pac faded away.

80m K6KM and introducing W6DMW
our 2 rookies took command of the 4 Square and made good business of 80 meters.
Most of us got our start on the low bands at RO, where Ken, a low band master
schooled us on grey line propagation and other sneaky low band wisdom and
tricks.  The boys were no exception and did well, and racked up an impressive
qso total, and still seem to want to come back for future contests..so win win.

Overall, despite the challenges I think we had a great time, it is always good
to have new and enthusiastic operators join us,  also good to make big
improvements on last years score, and hopefully by next year the camaraderie of
onsite M/M contesting will be back upon us.  barbeque and all.

Op condx
Stn1 (40) Flex 6600-M and Power genius XL (Smartlink with remote rig
enhancement)
Stn3(20) K3 Alpha 9500 Remote rig
Stn4(40/80) K3 ACOM 2000 Remote rig
Stn6 (10/15/80) Flex 6600-M and Power Genius XL (Smartlink with remote rig
enhancement)
Antenna genius X 2 with custom switching matrix

Antennas:
10m 5 X 5 X 5 90ft
15m 6 X 6 X 6 140 ft
20m 5 X 5 X 5 140 ft
40m 4 X 4 140 ft
80m wire 4sq with NA6O controller enhancement

73 and thanks to all for the many qso's and weird call signs. Thanks to Ken for
hosting this sometimes stressed and rowdy crowd, and giving us great aluminum to
operate.

For the entire Radio Oakley WPX RTTY contest Team

73 and seeya next time
Chris
N6WM