[3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 15 16:42:11 EST 2021

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2021

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: Waltham MA

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The CQ WPX program requires 300 prefixes for single modes (400 for Mixed). Back
when it was started in the early 1960s it was way more difficult to work that
many than today. It took me a long time. Now prefixes are a dime a dozen and
just just keep pouring in. With a minimal station I can easily work that many in
a weekend.

I planned to do only a Classic operation and had carefully planned out my time
to spread the 24 hours over the total 48 by hitting the best hours according to
the sum of my historical logs. I combined all my WPX-RTTY logs, got them all on
the same date and laboriously sorted them and converted them back to one
Cabrillo (I need a better way to do this), made pretty charts from sh5 and was
all set. But after I started I was having so much fun that I threw out my
meticulous plans and decided to operate the full 30 single-op hours, letting the
first 24 be my Classic entry and the rest gravy.

I don't know exactly where the 24 hour break comes, so I'll let the scorers
divine it. I assume the Classic score is approximately 24/30 * 708,279 =
566,623. I'm hoping it's a bit higher because the contest was front loaded with
higher rates.

After 24 hours I continued Unassisted, although I think I could have gone
Assisted for the final 6 hours, but decided to avoid any fuss and controversy
from doing that. I still had fun although it was difficult competing with
everyone else by going Unassisted with low power and low antennas. There is no
Unassisted single-op category in this contest and there were lots of big
signals. Sometimes I felt I was dancing the Monster Mash, everyone else being
the Monster and I was the Mash.

I just barely made it to 800 QSOs overall. At the end I had less than 2 minutes
to go and couldn't find any new stations to work.  All done.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  MMTTY(narrow) MMTTY(wide) 2Tone(Selective)
20m & 15m attic dipoles
80m, 40m & 20m outdoor 66' stealth wire and indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog