[3830] ARRLDX CW VA7ST SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 21 19:36:20 EST 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC

Total:  303    96  Total Score = 87,264

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

IC-7610 + Acom 1000 + Steppir 3/40

On the bright side, it won't take long to import 303 QSOs into DXkeeper. A
high-power personal worst, and a sliver away from my all-time worst ever
including low power.

What a rotten weekend playing radio, which still makes for a good weekend vs.
anything else. Bands were horrible with an A-index of 20+ and Aurora level 8 for
most of it. If you're not in the far northwest, that might not mean much but
from here it wiped out most of our opportunities for mults and rate to Europe,
and that is a death-knell for competitive scores.

Even the JA advantage from the west coast was not much of an advantage, with
signals from across the Pacific generally weak and not found in big numbers.
Managed a slow 20M run to JA/YB in the final hour, which was most welcome, but
overall the contest was a lot of hard work for very little payoff.

Didn't make a lot of Qs or mults on 80M, but the loop-on-ground RX antenna is a
keeper compared with receiving on the full-sized vertical. (http:va7st.ca for a
writeup).

Watched contestscoresonline.com through the weekend, and it sure did help keep
me going at times when I otherwise would have taken a few more breaks. Was
comforting to see others in the Pacific Northwest struggling along with me -- at
least I wasn't alone in misery.
Kudos to Gabor VE7JH for a 20M single-band effort from Vancouver Island at
VE7UF's awesome station. Gabor found 33 more mults and 550 more Qs than I did on
20M.

Next up: FT4 DX frenzy next weekend. I'll be in there looking for everyone. Oh,
and I guess there's also the CQ 160M SSB. That dripping sound is our cup
runething over.

-- Bud VA7ST
https://va7st.ca  (contester's diary)

Year   QSOs  Mults   Score
----   ----  -----   -------
2021   303    96      87,264 HP 12.5 hrs
2020   675   175     349,740 HP 19.0 hrs
2019   640   178     341,760 HP 17.5 hrs
2018   276   107      88,596
2017   366   147     161,406
2016   654   214     419,226 HP
2015  1511   257   1,164,981 HP