[3830] ARRLDX CW VE4VT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 21 20:27:03 EST 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    1     1
   80:   14     9
   10:    7     6
-------------------
Total:  249   114  Total Score = 84,816

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Wow, that was an all time low score for this contest. Compromised antennas due
to a failed rotator had the beams pointed towards Hawaii and ZL.  Had to resort
to using  a ground mounted quarter wave vertical for 40-10m for all other
directions.

Add in the horrible conditions and it was difficult to say the least.

Absolutely no Europe was heard on Saturday on 20m.  Managed to squeak out a
couple QSO's with JA Saturday afternoon.

No Europe on 40m Friday or Saturday evenings. There was even aurora flutter on
NA and SA 40m QSO's. NO ja or Asia either day on 40m.

80m was extremely noisey both nights

I tried on 160 several times but the only DX heard was 4A7S.  I could hear no
one else.  Sorry for the folks that asked me to QSY to 160...I tried.

On Sunday, we had about a 30min opening to Southern and Western Europe on 20.
Then late Sunday afternoon, a very fluttery opening to a few far northern Europe
locations.  At the same time, I managed to finally make a few QSO;s with Eu on
40m about 90 mins before local sunset.

The cluster fuelled pileups were intense.  There are some very good DX ops on
the other end kudos to you all.  I had better success finding un-spotted
stations. I could usually work them on the first or second call.  If they were
spotted, it was take a number and wait 10 minutes if you were lucky.

Oh well, what fun would a contest be without challenges. Another opportunity to
learn about propagation...or put into practice what you have learned
previously.

ARRL DX SSB will be better right?

73  Ed  VE4VT