[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3NNT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 21 22:21:40 EST 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 34
Remote Operation

   20: 1026    83
Total: 2047   311  Total Score = 1,909,851

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I had high hopes entering the contest, with the new sun spot cycle. However, it
seems that, in general, conditions were worse than last year. I ended up with
about 10% fewer contacts and a score about 20% worse than last year, with far
fewer multipliers.
   The band conditions were strange. I was trying to figure out where the signal
peaked for Japan Saturday afternoon and it was slightly south of due west
instead of 330 degrees, and European signals on 15 m seemed to peak  around due
east.
   Signals seemed weak on the low bands. I didn't see a significant European
opening on 15m, just a few signals to work S&P (nothing like being able to
run during the last CQWW CW contest). Surprisingly, 10m was open more than I
expected, given the other band conditions.
   These 48 hour marathons are not my favorite. I used to be a night owl, but I
just didn't have the stamina to stay up both nights. Things were painfully slow
in the middle of the nights, so there was great motivation to just stop and
sleep.
   Luckily, my internet didn't fail me. Of course, I had the regular pops and
clicks and had to ask for a lot of repeats due to garbled characters, which
slowed me down during runs, but my Maestro never lost connection with my radio.
   I'm down to one radio until I sort out a relay problem (intermittent RX level
for one channel)at the station in the spring.
   Let's hope for better conditions next year.