[3830] CQ160 SSB W3FOX Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 28 15:08:12 EST 2021

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: W3FOX
Operator(s): W3FOX
Station: W3FOX

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 508  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 10  Total Score = 58,539

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my second SSB 160 meter ARRL contest. It seemed to me that propagation
was better last year. Because of other obligations and the fact that 1:00AM
local is my bewitching hour, I only operated for a little over 11 hours. This
was my first contest using new antennas for 160M. My old dipole was converted to
an inverted L and I added a Hi-Z3 3 element Array receive antenna. Great
improvement over my old antenna set up. During the contest I saw some European
spots that I wasn't hearing and discovered I had forgotten to turn the listening
antenna on from the IC-7610. Once I activated the receive antenna, I was able to
copy the DX stations. While I worked a few stations in the Caribbean, there
seemed to be less stations from that region compared to last year. Had a lot of
fun.