[3830] RTTY Roundup W7YAQ SO(A) Mixed QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 4 03:43:23 EST 2021

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2021

Call: W7YAQ
Operator(s): W7YAQ
Station: W7YAQ

Class: SO(A) Mixed QRP
QTH: Sisters OR

   80:    46       19
   40:    20       29
   20:   116       67
   15:    69       58
   10:
-----------------------
Total:   251      173  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 24  Total Score = 32,648

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

As I write this, I don’t see any entries in the SO (A) Mixed QRP category.  As
this is primarily a domestic contest, I decided to try QRP and manually switch
back and forth between modes, using WriteLog for RTTY and using WSJT-X for
FT4/FT8 on my old Windows XP laptop.  Seamless it wasn’t, having also to
change the K3 keying settings when changing modes.  Also, with the software not
integrated I did not have any way of tracking dupes between the modes, other
than my octogenarian memory.  I didn’t use spotting, so the Assisted part only
reflected my using WSJT-X to see the multiple decodes.

I’ve been spending the evening hours since the contest trying to merge my logs
and create a correct Cabrillo file.  I think I’m done, but only after lots of
cutting, pasting, and editing.

I spent about 60% of my 19.5 hours on RTTY and 40% on FT4 and FT8.  I may have
mismanaged the times off.   I took a two-hour dinner break, and had resumed
operating for less than an hour when I got a FaceTime call from one of my sons.
It was his birthday and my 2-year old grand-daughter had also celebrated hers
the week before.  Well by the time we finished sharing post-holiday,
socially-distanced, New Year’s cheer I got back to the radio 35 minutes after
the previous QSO.  I guess I don’t understand the logic of the special
time-off rules for this contest.  There’s even a possibility running QRP that
a half-hour can pass between QSOs, although fortunately that wasn’t the case
here.

So here’s the QSO distribution by band and mode.
Band     Total   RTTY  FT8   FT4
80         65      46    1    18
40         49      20   10    19
20        183     116   30    37
15        127      69   12    46
--------------------------------
Total     424     251   53   120   + 6 dupes

And here’s the multiplier distribution.
         Total   RTTY  FT4/8
States     48     44    42
Provinces   5      4     3
DXCC       24     15    12
Total      77     63    57

I worked all the 48 lower states but missed DC.   The four states I worked on FT
but not RTTY were DE (2 Qs), ND (2), NE (2), and NH (1).  DX worked only on FT
included BY, CE, CM, DU, HI, HL, J7, LA and OK.

This was a fun contest and I’ll try to be more organized for it next time.

73,
Bob W7YAQ