[3830] RTTY Roundup W6YX(N7MH) SO(A) RTTY HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 5 12:24:28 EST 2021

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2021

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO(A) RTTY HP
QTH: Stanford

   10:      1
-----------------------
Total:   1892      0  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 54  Total Score = 206,228

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

It's been almost 2 years since I've operated RTTY so I was a bit rusty and it
took longer to get set up than I expected. Last year N6DE operated in RTTY RU at
W6YX with my K3 SO2R setup and scored 202K which was the 2nd highest RTTY-only
assisted score, giving me a goal to aim for.

Pete, K6TJ, also operated at the W6YX site but, with social distancing in mind,
had his low power station set up in a van backed up to the W6YX building with
power and antenna cables snaking through an access opening in the shack wall.
Since Pete was mostly on during the daytime hours and was giving priority to my
effort, he mostly used the C31XR which has been stuck beaming a bit north of
east.

After starting the contest I soon became aware that I'd forgotten to set up a
prefill file. Since I always confirm the exchange anyway it was not a big deal,
except later when I was trying to find some of the rarer VE mults I realized
that Writelog wouldn't highlight them unless the callsigns were in the prefill
file. I never saw any VYs, VE4, VE8, VE9 or VO1 spotted or printed. Of the few
times that I noticed VO2AC spotted I only heard him once and couldn't break
through the huge pileup.

I spent the first 3 hours in 2BSIQ mode on 15 and 20. Post-contest I tried to
classify time intervals in the log and determined that in total I only used
2BSIQ for 5 hours and 20 minutes. Most of my time was spent doing traditional
SO2R, running on one radio and click/pounce on the other. Two and a half hours
were spent with both radios on the same band, mostly when 20 or 40 was open to
Europe and I was trying to collect new mults while also running on what was the
highest rate band.

My one Q on 10 was with W9KKN, 8 miles away. The few stations spotted from other
parts of the country on 10 were not heard here.

I was surprised to have worked much more Europe than Asia on 40. This is likely
due to taking a long break from 0620 to 1140 to go home and sleep. There were
not enough Asian callers to justify beaming that direction for long in the
pre-dawn hours.

Congrats to N6WM for edging me out locally in the assisted category. I assume
W9KKN will be near the same level when his score is reported.

73,
-Mike, N7MH