[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 10 12:24:30 EST 2021

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Georgia

  160:    7     6
   20:    1     1
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  100    53  Total Score = 5,300

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC#2

Comments:

Antennas:
80/40/20m Trap dipole at 10m high
160/80/40m Trap inverted J with 2 elevated radials

Equipment:
K2/100 w/ KAT100 running 100 watts

Comments:

A quick operation from the Bolton QTH, in Atlanta. I was at the Gwinnett QTH
earlier in the day, and spent five minutes listening (no transmitting) to 10 and
15m around 2100z. I heard nothing.

Didn't arrive back in Bolton until 2330z, and then had dinner with my wife.
After I had to set up the computer with the K2 and for the contest. Pleased that
the K2 didn't give me any weird problems like it did a couple of months ago.

First QSO was at 0025z.

20m had pretty much nothing happening, I made one contact. Everyone was on 40m.
I called a few CQs high in the band, but no doing. S & P brought a good
rate, but difficult for my pipsqueak signal. Went to 80m and found things
easier. A short jaunt on 160m netted a few multipliers.

By 0210z, I've logged 100 Qs and am extremely tired, after getting up at 5 AM
and working out in the cold outdoors for much of the afternoon, so I hit the
switch.

Conditions seemed to be rather good on the lower bands. Don't know how much I
missed on 20m and above.

Very pleased with the 80/40/20m dipole. It was effective on 80m, and held it's
own on 40m. It could be a little bit higher. I may re-string one side now that
the leaves have all dropped from the trees.

The Inverted-J wasn't working well on 40 or 80m, OK on 160m. I think I need more
elevated radials.