[3830] NAQP SSB NC4KW(N1LN) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 17 11:54:25 EST 2021

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: NC4KW
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1025   168  Total Score = 172,200

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

I am typically one that does not like SSB contests, but I must admit, I had fun
in the NAQP-SSB.  There are several reasons why I enjoyed this one, but the main
reason is because I decided that my goal was to score points for the PVRC which
did not necessarily require me to operate 10 hours.  So, I coordinated my
schedule around my wife’s schedule. She was participating in a global Facebook
craft session most of the day.  My first break was around 0000Z for a quick
dinner.  When her session was done we watched one of the Prime streaming shows
we are hooked on.  Then I got back on for another 30 minutes to test out my new
160 shunt fed tower well up in the SSB portion of the band.  All that resulted
in a total on the air time of 8 hours.

To keep me from getting my usual SSB headache, I tried to stay ahead of the
gang.  Gang translates as HEAVY QRM.  I was fortunate to find a reasonably good
20 meter run frequency to start on.  I stayed there until the gang started to
move in.  I tried running on 15 but no rate.  So I did SP for a while on both 15
and 20.  That was my only real SO2R activity and not fun.  I am not a SSB SP
person.  I moved to 40 pretty early and the run frequencies were plentiful.
Having fun again!!  Before dinner I even got in some 75 meter Qs with excellent
rates.  Then dinner and a break.  To my surprise it was pretty easy to find
another 40 meter run frequency after dinner, and it was a great one.  7.185.55
Rates stayed around  200 with a burst high of 360.  Amazing!  That was FUN!
When the gang started to move in I went to 160.  Another break started at 0200Z
and ended around 0300Z for the Prime streaming show.

My final half hour was on 160 testing the shunt fed tower.  It is remotely tuned
so I started around 1852, then 1862 and finally finished out at 1887.  It worked
great.  I have never operated that high before so was unsure of the possible
action, but again my rate pretty much stayed in the low 100s with a peak around
175, so not bad.

When I started off at 1800 the goal was 500 Qs.  Well, my stay ahead of the gang
strategy and the excellent rates made it very tolerable for me to double that
goal.  I did not stay for the full 10 hours, but I had fun.  That is what it is
all about anyway.

Thanks for the Qs and adding to my FUN TIME NAQP-SSB.

73,
Bruce N1LN
(aka: NC4KW, Bob)