[3830] NAQP SSB W1DYJ Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 17 19:53:48 EST 2021

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Massachusetts

  160:   11     5
   80:   17     9
   10:   11     4
-------------------
Total:  212    81  Total Score = 17,172

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: YCCC Phone Fanatics

Comments:

NAQP contests have landed on my list of favorites.  As a low
power, little pistol "senior" ham, they fit my need for
relatively short and "level-field" events.  Yes, I say this
even though NN1C (great job Marty) beat me by a factor of
about 24!  (And sorry Marty, I never found you when we moved
to 15.)

This was my seventh Jan SSB NAQP, and a personal best for me.
I have complained in the past about my old TS-2000.  Replaced
with a TS-590SG, I really heard the difference in selectivity.

My antennas on 10 and 20 are really the only ones that are
sort of competitive here in MA, so I use them when it makes
sense, and I had a (very) short run on 10 at the very beginning.
(Where was everyone at 1815 UTC?) I only had one more Q on 10.

Mostly an S&P contester, I noticed that 20 was very quiet
around 8pm local and gave out a CQ.  FUN, FUN, FUN! (But I
didn't have the T-bird -- sorry to those who don't know the
reference...) Between 0054 and 0129 UTC I had 45 Qs, with
a peak of 105/hour.  Adrenalin.  This could make me a real
contester!

Seriously, this was a fun contest and I look forward to more.
I was even happy with my 160 results, with my "any-antenna-
is-better-than-no-antenna" dipole(?).

Glad to see more YCCC activity on NAQP.

Rig: TS-590SG
BIC = 6 hours  (Official "30-minute" time = 8 hours)
Antennas:
   10  HB 5el yagi @ 30ft
   15  HB Rotatable Dipole @ 33ft
   20  HB Moxon @ 36ft
   80/40/160 Modified AD DX-CC fed at 30'
        with 160 added "zig-zag" around back yard
       (160 avg height ~ 15')
Logger: N3FJP NAQP Contest Log Ver 5.2

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ