[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KG6BXW/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 18 16:39:13 EST 2021

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2021

Call: KG6BXW/R
Operator(s): KG6BXW
Station: KG6BXW/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: SJV

    6:  19      7
    2:  14      4
  222:   5      1
  432:   8      3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  46     19  Total Score = 1,159

Laptop died part way so I couldn't do a lot of FT8 like I had planned. Phone
contacts were about 60/40 FM/SSB. The only FT8 I saw was on 6m, in Sept there
was some activity on 2m. All 220mhz contacts were FM. I used an FT-100 and a
Radioddity QB25. I only had one power plug to the car so I only ran one at a
time. For SSB and FT8 I used loops on a painters pole. 6m I have a great loop
from https://www.ebay.com/usr/freqtester and for 2m/440 I have a Harvest YG1443.
For all FM I use a triband mag mount, I just bought a Elk LPDA but didn't have
time to set it up and play around this trip. Going to look into upgrades for
June, directional antenna for 6 meter and maybe a new radio my FT-100 is nice
but I have some money saved up and something more modern would be a nice
addition.

Started off in DM07 on Lilly Mountain, moved on to DM06 and pulled over a couple
miles outside of Valley Children's Hospital, moved on to CM96 and stopped at the
Madera Community College, got into CM97 and stopped at the Save Mart parking
lot, was able to get my laptop taken care of and made one more FT8 contact back
on Lilly Mountain.

Wasn't able to go out Sunday as I had promised my girlfriend a trip to the beach
and didn't think playing radio would be appropriate for family time. Looking
forward to June! Next time I want to try a longer trip maybe start either in
NorCal (CN81/CN80) and drive down the whole state or maybe start in SoCal
(DM04/DM03) and work my way up. Lot to think about but with COVID I was just
glad I could get out of the house and do something.