[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KF6NCX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 18 23:52:24 EST 2021

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2021

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX
Station: KF6NCX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ca

    6:  14     7
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  14     7  Total Score = 98

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Well, my showing this year was many, many times better than last year's, which
was my first VHF contesting effort. Last year I made exactly Zero Qsos. So, a
substantial improvement this year. Last year, I had only an Elk log periodic
antenna on a mast about 7 feet up in the air. The antenna is for two meters and
I was trying to do CW only. This year I had FT8 on 6 meters and CW capability on
both 2 meters and 6 meters. On 2 meters I had just 6 watts and on 6 I was
running 200 watts.

It was pretty slow-going at times, as you can see. My rate of a little better
than 2 qsos per hour was hardly spectacular. Thirteen of my contacts were FT8. I
managed to make one CW qso, thanks to arranging it via the Cali VHF UHF Spotting
Web Page. It was with Tom, WA6OSX, in Galt, near Sacramento. I tried for a
2-meter CW contact with a ham down in the Bay Area, but we were not able to
manage it. This year I had the Elk 2-meter antenna on a mast up at the dizzying
height of around 18 feet, same as my 6 meter antenna, a Buddipole arranged as a
two-element yagi. I did have one DX qso with a fellow up in Newberg, OR, near
Portland, maybe 450 miles away!

I enjoyed the contest, slow as it was. When things seemed really slow, I sorted
through old QSL cards and took some time to go through a stuffed filing cabinet
in search of our dachshund's pedigree papers. We haven't been sure how old she
is exactly. What do you know -- I found it and learned she is 13! Don't let
anyone tell you VHF contests don't pay off.