[3830] CQ160 CW W1WEF Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 31 15:51:15 EST 2021

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT

Total:  QSOs = 726  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 25  Total Score = 147,686

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

A few years ago I switched my cable provider to ATT but quickly dropped
them when I found I could not operate on 160 without causing TVI due to
their cable box using 1.8 mhz in their internal design and being very
susceptible to RFI.

I now have COX cable and since May of 2020 have had to replace the main
cable box with a hard failure SIX times! Resets, reloads, and swearing at
it never helped. I just drive 15 miles and get  a new box and am back in
business until the next failure.

This weekend after operating the 160 contest I think I finally put 2 plus 2
together. Since in past years with Cox cable I never had any failures, I
think the latest boxes are a new design. (Pace model PX022ANM ).  After
getting a new box Saturday morning, and my revelation connecting the
failure with the contest, I put ferrites on the RG6 and power and DMR
cables (but probably not enough ferrite on the coax. When I started
operating Saturday afternoon the box died again but recovered after a 15
minute reset. Disappointed, I decided not to finish the contest.

I am wondering if anyone else has wiped out a cable box by operating with
1500W on 160? My Inv L is about 85 ft from the TV set. I might mention that
the "little box" on a second TV set is never affected. Now that I
think of
it, I could temporarily move the little box to the Living room during a
contest, and at least get a limited number of channels.

Anyone else have this problem?   Tnx   JACK W1WEF