[3830] IARU K9CT WRTC Practice LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 11 17:41:20 EDT 2021

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2021

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K9CT NE9U
Station: K9CT

Class: WRTC Practice LP
QTH: IL

  160:     0     0      0        0
   80:   184     0     16       12
   40:   496    12     51       35
   20:   802   195     63       42
   15:   471   108     46       33
   10:   195    54     14       14
-------------------------------------
Total:  2148   369    190      136  Total Score = 2,464,560

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Zones=Countries above. 85% CW and 15% SSB

We followed all the WRTC rules published in 2018 except we used our antennas!

Scott, NE9U arrived Friday and we had a chance to finish setup together. Zoom
meeting with Mike, W9RE and Ted, N9NB followed to finalize setup and our plans.
We chose to have the competition on the https://contestonlinescore.com/
live scoreboard that VA2WA hosts.

Neither Scott or I felt we had a good night's sleep prior to the start because
of the excitement. We were both up an hour before and were ready to go.
Thunderstorms were in the area and there was concern about lightning and QRN
stopping things midstream. However for the most part, we didn't really miss a
beat other than some rain static and charged clouds going over the towers
causing high levels of static.

We thought the activity was good and it was get as many contacts in the log as
possible from the get go. We would take a few minutes each hour to search out
the HQ stations and get them on each band. We also prioritized getting on 10 and
15 should they be open. There has been pretty good E propagation and we didn't
want to miss any open areas.

We kept the online scoreboard on our phones and could see at a glance how we
were doing. That really kept us motivated! W9RE and us were in close scoring all
24 hours. If we had a lead, it didn't take long to see it evaporate. We chased
W9RE a lot!

This morning we had an early E opening on 15 and 10 and were on the bands at 5
am! The opening was good enough to get us back in the thick of it with
multipliers and QSOs with only two hours to go. We checked these bands all night
long while slugging it out on 40 and 80. 20m was solid for most of the 24 hours.
Amazing over the pole conditions most of the night.

M/2 is not a category in the IARU rules so we will probably be check logs.
However regardless of the outcome, we had a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun to
plan and then operate and compete with Mike and Ted.

Thanks for all the QSOs and fun

73, Craig K9CT and Scott, NE9U