[3830] CQWW VHF K9JK/R(@C0ROVEROLLA) Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 19 15:09:25 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K9JK/R
Operator(s): K9JK
Station: C0ROVEROLLA

Class: Rover LP
QTH: IL-EN50-52,EN60-62

Total:  126    89  Total Score = 14,774

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

As is often the case, with PHENOMENAL propagation the week prior to the contest,
the propagation was not as good during the contest.

It also seemed to be several different contests as conditions changed throughout
the 27 hour contest period and depending on WHERE stations were located.

In my case, I experienced a pretty good first hour on 6 meters from the starting
point I chose with many stations worked, almost exclusively to the east and
eastnortheast of me except for two "odd" QSOs, one out to the
northwest corner of Colorado and another to west central Minnesota.

While navigating the CoROVERolla south to my 'next spot', the EN50/51/60/61 grid
corner, six meter propagation collapsed (at least it did for me, only having
capability for 'legacy' modulation modes - SSB, CW and FM).

Fortunately, a few stations knew to look for me as I got to the corner and we
were able to complete QSOs on both 6 and 2 from spots around that corner but,
all in all, that was a lot of miles driven for just over 20 QSOs (most were
unique multipliers, though, given the multiplier counting for Rovers in this
contest).

Returning north toward my home QTH, I kept an ear on 6 meters but didn't hear
anything, which worked for me since there was road construction narrowing the
superslab to one lane for a short stretch or the speed limit was 70 mph so
keeping my focus on the CoROVERolla's steering wheel was the right thing to do.

As I got closer to home (with a stop for two "Big Baby" double
cheeseburgers at a favorite carryout spot near a former home QTH), 6 meters
started showing some 'life' again and I managed to catch a few QSOs (to VT, NH
and NY) while mobile through EN61. It was interesting to note the propagation
effects while driving as it evolved, very interesting fading and peaking on the
signals as I moved.

Finally back home, I parked the CoROVERolla in the driveway and 6 meters seemed
to have popped back to 'life', with some QSO paths as short as EN93 (Ontario)
netting me 20 SSB QSOs on 6 in just over 20 minutes. That wrapped it up for
Saturday with 75 QSOs in my log.

Six meters showed a little bit of life early Sunday morning (1300-1400 UTC) so I
made a few more QSOs with the CoROVERolla still in the driveway, including two
stations in Wisconsin that I was able to complete with on both 6 and 2.

Some mid-morning obligations kept me off the air until just after Noon (1700
UTC) but I don't think I missed anything (or I HOPE I didn't).

I continued my rove, visiting EN62 (the 6th grid I visited) for the first time
but any 6 meter propagation had pretty much evaporated. I was able to catch
three stations on both 6 and 2 from there which were also new multipliers on
each band.

Next 'stop' was down closer to my local EN51/52/61/62 grid corner which let me
catch a few more local stations (though that includes Iowa and Wisconsin) that
I'd not worked from previous visits to those grids. Of 40 QSOs in that last four
hours, 38 were from stations that I worked on both 6 and 2 and many were unique
multipliers with the scoring for Rovers in this contest.

Since I've noticed many sharing their breakdown of QSOs by mode (apparently a
feature of the N1MM+ logging program?), here's mine (done manually, though):

         BAND
Mode   50    144
USB    85     39
FM      0      1
CW      1      0
FT*   ZERO   ZERO
MSK   ZERO   ZERO

53 unique calls contacted on 6 meters, two from 5 different grids I visited and
several from 4 different grids.

14 unique calls contacted on 2 meters, with similar counts for my multi-grid
visits

28 overall unique grids were contacted on 6, so 32 were added by reworking grids
as I was in a different grid.

7 overall unique grids were contacted on 2, so 22 were added by reworking grids
as I was in a different grid.

As Contest Director, I thank all who participated, ESPECIALLY to those who used
their microphones and keys (and I thank the numerous computers for the many QSOs
made on the digital modes).

Get those logs submitted! The deadline is July 28th and REMEMBER, Electronically
submitted logs ONLY! (NO MORE PAPER LOGS!)

This year's results article should be in the January, 2022, issue of CQ
Magazine. Please consider supporting CQ Magazine and their advertisers.

Thanks also to the Worldwide Radio Operators Foundation (WWROF) for the
infrastructure support that they provide to this and all of the CQ WW contests.
If you haven't donated to WWROF, please consider doing so. For more information,
check the wwrof.org web site.

73, JK