[3830] IOTA G4BUO SO12CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 26 10:53:11 EDT 2021

                    IOTA Contest - 2021

Call: G4BUO
Operator(s): G4BUO
Station: G4BUO

Class: SO12CW HP
QTH: Hertfordshire

   80:  103       29
   40:  195       34
   20:  261       30
   15:   62       10
   10:    3        1
Total:  624      115      0        0  Total Score = 519,800

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

I had a commitment from 3pm Saturday, but returning just after midnight I
realised I could still put in an entry in the 12-hour section, having already
put in nearly two hours operating up to the time I had to leave. In the end I
didn't watch the clock carefully enough so I will have to mark the last four
QSOs in the log (including a mult) as X-QSO so that the other side doesn't lose
the points.

Fortunately at this time of year 20m stays open late to the States and I was
able to run a little, but being unassisted and with no time to set up for SO2R I
had to break off frequently to hunt for multipliers. I got about an hour's sleep
overnight and hoped for some short skip on 15 and 10 on Sunday morning but this
never really materialised. There were some short runs on 15 but no DX on Sunday
apart from a very welcome Chinese island. I didn't hear any JAs during the
entire contest.

It was fun digging out the multipliers and I was pleased that I could break the
pileups with my wire antennas. I was sorry that I only worked the Cray Valley
team at MM8C on one band - 80m - where they called me!

K3 + HF Gemini
Flat-top doublet 20m long, up 11m
20m delta loop, apex at 11m
Doublet fed as tee on 80m