[3830] IOTA K3EST(@N6RO) SO(A)24Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 26 13:02:18 EDT 2021

                    IOTA Contest - 2021

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): K3EST
Station: N6RO

Class: SO(A)24Mixed HP
QTH: USA

   80:    4        4
   40:  105       34      78      25
   20:  276       49     714      38
   15:   41       14       5       2
Total:  426      101     797      65  Total Score = 1,107,386

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Well, that was interesting. There was no down time.  As expected 20 and 40 were
where the Q’s were found. 40 was very good into YB and Asia for the first 2
hours+…then went to 20. On 20 there are essentially two contests. One into the
states and one with DX. At this time of year, I sort of ignored DX during
daylight, say from 10am to 5pm and ran W’s. It was fun working about 400 W’s
with a #1….everyone was nice and passed along the #1 when asked to.. They
count points. I was behind in mults but knew I had a chance to recover after 7pm
on 20. Indeed 20 was fantastic very late, say after 10 pm into Europe. I picked
up many European IOTAs that were inaudible earlier.  I kept moving between SSB
and CW picking the same mult on SSB and CW. 20 SSB was so good that I found
FR4QT calling CQ with a 56 signal and worked him on first call…that doesn’t
happen often. Also 5B4KH was a true 59 along with many other Europeans. On CW
the same strength signals existed…they were loud and was able to run
Russians/Ukrainians for about an hour. After Europe went out about 1am I
switched to 40 and 80 to finish the contest. I went to 80 the last hour and was
able to pick up 4 mults (JA8, JA, VE7, KH6)…15 was not really there…managed
to work a few JAs and RI0FWA. Probably could have worked more 15/10 but 20 was
too good…. it was fun. Thanks to Ken, N6RO for the on the site operation and
listening to YouTube old time jazz bands especially the family from Sweden
during a few moments of rest time.