[3830] ARRL June VHF K5PI(@W5KFT) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 13 23:08:48 EDT 2021

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K5PI
Operator(s): K5PI
Station: W5KFT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX

    6:  429   177
    2:    1     1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  430   178  Total Score = 76,362

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I’ve never really gotten the VHF bug, but 6M can be fun so I decided to give
it a try this weekend.  I had a single 6 element long boom yagi at 30 feet, a
great old Henry 3006 amp, and a K3.

I did all modes, but the crowd seemed to be on digi.  didn’t really get much
SSB traction until Sunday afternoon.  I thought it might break wide open for a
nice SSB/CW run, but no.  I finished with 278 digi, 67 CW, and 85 SSB.

I begged folks to use FT4 all weekend with “CQ FT4/50318” announcements.
That would get a few folks over, but then it would fizzle out again.  Hope the
digi-crowd will 1) make FT4 the default mode for contests and 2) start migrating
to SSB/CW when signals build.  It was amazing to work stations when the band was
way down, but it’s just tooooooo sloooooow, and the collisions make it really
inefficient as the channel fills up.