[3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 14 13:51:24 EDT 2021

      Mirage C1012 (222)
      Gemini 70-1k (432)
      Gemini 23 (1296)
Ants: M2 6M3 (50)
      M2 2M9SSB (144)
      M2 222-10EZ (222)
      M2 432-6WL (432)
      Wimo SHF-2367 (1296)
      10 el. 70cm, 5 el. 2m vertical yagis for FM
      CX-333 for FM

Early Saturday I decided not to do any digital modes this time. I also used no
internet based assistance. I only honored unsolicited phone calls and texts. Is
that a winning strategy? Absolutely, if it means I maximized the fun factor for
myself, which it most certainly did. I enjoyed having (some long) conversations
with people, did some fun experiments (thanks WS3O/R!), and joined some locals
running the bands on FM. Even though I was not on FT8, it was really nice to
welcome new callsigns in my log.

Many thanks for the rovers that went out! I'm sure it must be frustrating if
there's a big 6m opening and people can't be coaxed to work you on the higher
bands for which you no doubt brought a lot of gear.

There was a brief opening to FL, GA, AL and VO1 on Saturday in the early
evening. Sunday morning I got in the shack way too late as there was already a
hopping 6m opening going on when I turned on the radios. There were several
openings throughout the day, but judging by the band scope, it seems that folks
restricted themselves to the 3-6kHz confines of FT8. At times the beacons were
roaring and and a few strong distant stations could be continously heard but
that was about it. Judging by the signals popping in and out it seemed that I
was constantly on the edge of an Es opening and wasn't able to take full
advantage of it.

To anyone still complaining about FT8, if you found yourself on FT8 during the
contest, you are as much a part of the problem as whoever or whatever you are
trying to blame. We don't need rule changes that are destined to fail to entice
people to use the legacy modes. It's the attitude of the participants that will
determine if the current contests turn into digital mode contests. The digital
modes deserve their own contests. It's hardly a new and innovative concept in
2021. All it requires is a bit of agility by the contest sponsors (or for
perhaps a club initiative to pick it up and run with it).

I had a lot of fun and I thank everyone for the Q's we had. We'll all learn in 6
months time, when we're back to shoveling snow and have long forgotten about
this contest, how the things fared from the sponsor's perspective.

73,
--Alex KR1ST

SSB:    94%
CW:      2%