[3830] ARRL June VHF K9JK/R(@C0ROVEROLLA) Rover HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jun 19 12:31:27 EDT 2021

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K9JK/R
Operator(s): K9JK
Station: C0ROVEROLLA

Class: Rover HP
QTH: IL-EN50-52/60-62

    2:   39     7
  222:   22     5
  432:   38     7
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  165    49  Total Score = 11,025

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Total Mults includes the 6 Grid Activation Mults (EN50, EN51, EN52, EN60, EN61
and EN62).

I intended to be a Limited Rover but I forgot to cut back the power on 222 so I
exceeded the 100 Watt power limit for that band.

ALL Contacts were made using 'legacy' modes, mostly SSB but a few CW and a few
on FM. I'm still not comfortable trying to run digital modes from the
CoROVERolla so I am VERY thankful for the stations who WERE checking the
sections of the band away from 50.313, 144.174, etc.

High Heat Indexes and a predicted thunderstorm (which DID happen) inspired me to
hold off until Sunday to operate. A big drop in dew points overnight made
conditions much more pleasant on Sunday morning.

First target was the EN50/51/60/61 Grid corner, just under 100 miles driving
with the route I chose. Two contacts made from EN61 while moving south. When I
arrived at the exit from the superslab (I-57), N0LL was booming in from EM09 -
rather short for 6 meters. I was still in EN61 at the exit but knew that going
two blocks south would put me in EN60 so one more QSO with Larry. I left my
radio where Larry was calling CQ as I continued west to the actual grid corner
(about 5 mile) and he was still solidly copiable so two more Qs from EN51 and
EN50. An interesting start to the contest.

Continuing in the area of the corner, I was able to link up with Val and Jerry
for 4 bands with NV9L from each of the grids. Zack, W9SZ was contacted on three
bands from two of the grids. Bob, K2DRH was good for 4 bands from each of the 4
grids (though our contacts when I was in EN50 were later). I kept an ear on 6
meters and filled in a few 'sporadic' contacts with FL, SC,  TX and CO. Another
nice 'catch' was AL1VE/R, the only other rover that I contacted...Timm was in
Nebraska and I managed to get him from two of my grids.

A little over 2.5 hours at that corner netted 68 total QSOs.

A long cut to the west (where I made the 4 contacts with K2DRH from EN50) took
over three hours drive time before my next operating spot. It seemed that any 6
meter propagation had dissipated so I don't think I missed much (or HOPE that I
didn't).

This next spot was also in EN51 more toward the NE corner of the grid and closer
to the ham population of the Chicago area. It is a 'scenic overlook' (mound
remaining from what had been a landfill) with nice views of the horizon, great
for the higher VHF, UHF and Microwave bands. Twenty minutes of actual operating
there netted another 18 Qs.

While the dew point had dropped, it was still hot and I had consumed all of the
drinks I had brought with me so I headed to the home QTH and took a break to get
rehydrated and get some nourishment. That was a break of just under 4 hours.

Returning to the CoROVERolla just before 7pm local time, yielded a few QSOs from
the driveway (EN52), including VE9AA and K1WHS on 6 meters.

Leaving the driveway, I headed to another former landfill mound with an elevated
parking area (EN62). I left the radio tuned to the frequency where K1WHS was and
was able to complete a second QSO with Al who was the operator. 45 minutes there
netted 19 more Qs, many local but also caught one station each in MA and NC on
6.

>From there, I headed back to EN52 (just a little to the west of the EN62 spot)
for 5 quick Qs but then continued south to the (closer to me) grid corner of
EN51/52/61/62. I was, effectively, 'fresh meat' for several local stations who
had worked out all of the other local stations and 6 meters seemed to have
closed up.

A little over an hour bouncing around the 4 grids at the corner netted another
41 Qs for a nice finish to my 'Sunday only' contest effort.

Thanks to all who participated, especially those who found their way into MY
log, which meant having to actually listen to/copy my radio voice (or fist).

Thanks to the ARRL and all of the folks who support and promote
contest/radiosport activities.

K9JK/R will be K9JK '1C' for Field Day (with focus on 50 MHz and Up) and, back
as K9JK/R for the CQ WW VHF Contest in July.

73, JK