[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 20 13:13:20 EDT 2021

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM89ps

Total:  QSOs = 141  Total Score = 458

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I made absolutely no progress on new stuff since last year as work has
been consuming all of my time.

Spent very little time verifying that all of the short verticals still
work but all of the elements of the northeast / southwest and
northwest / southeast arrays seemed to be working.  I did not check
nor expect to use the north / south array.

I tuned up the northeast Beverage and transmitted sampling widget to
get an acceptable full-duplex receiving capability.  I noticed that my
low power signal seemed a bit broad, especially on the low frequency
side.

I operate low power during the summer Stew because high power attracts
too many stations I simply cannot copy.  Also leaving the amplifier
off makes the operation a little more minimalist, if one can ignore
the 2 radios, 3 computers, and 14 short verticals and attendant
receivers.

My SAMLEC power supply is back powering the K3S.  However, the K3S
makes only 80 watts with only 12.8 volts which is the reading from the
internal K3S meter under load.  I noticed I could get another tenth of
a volt by further tightening the already tight SAMLEC terminals.
After a while, I pulled the cover from the SAMLEC and started messing
with the output voltage while CQing.  At 14.8 volts nominal which
would sag to 14.2 inside the radio the K3S would make 100 watts.  By
my calculations, the 4 feet of 10 gauge wire connecting the SAMLEC to
the radio should lose only 0.2 volts.  The other half volt loss must
be inside the radio.  I noticed that with a higher supply voltage my
transmit signal seemed a little cleaner.

I heard W6AYC calling CX6VM but that was the only hint of long
distance DX.  I heard no trace of Europe.  Heard VE4GV work NA8V but
VE4GV never called me.  I wish there was a way to run high power part
of the time for when long haul contacts are available.

I stayed up a little later this time because the west coast seemed to
be able to hear me better than previous summers.  Along with the 3 KP2
stations, I worked several west coast 7 point stations so it is hard
to say which one was my best DX.

Took a nap after 0539Z.  Got back to the radio 0935Z and worked 5 more
stations.  I stopped just after sunrise because their didn't seem to
be any other activity.

Equipment: K3S/100, P3, K3/100, homebrew SO2R stuff, 2 phased array /
SDR receiving systems, 12 Beverages (only 1 used), 'tee' antenna 60
feet tall over 75 radials.