[3830] NCQP W4TMO Mobile Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 2 12:46:56 EST 2021

                    North Carolina QSO Party - 2021

Call: W4TMO
Operator(s): N4CW W4TMO
Station: W4TMO

Class: Mobile Mixed LP
QTH: NC Mobile
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Remote Operation

   80:   300    0       0
   40:   712    0       0
   20:   101    0       0
----------------------------
Total:  1113    0       0  Mults = 55  Total Score = 183,695

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

[comments by Bert, N4CW]

The SCQP was "practice", and Jim and I learned a lot! It wasn't easy.
Relying on cell phone communications for audio as well as video/control is
tricky at best, and Jim found a way!
Jim engineered the communications setup, made an operating "desk" for
the passenger seat, and even built the antenna setups (one on the trailer hitch,
and two on a roof rack)...all on a Prius!!! Ignition noise wasn't a problem, and
what noise there was came from the power supplies. I had no control over the
situation while operating...I could only use the keyboard (and earphones) and a
vision of N1MM+ that reflected what was on Jim's laptop in the car. We pretty
much licked the latency problem, but cell communications wasn't 100% reliable
and at my end I would frequently get "pops" when the signal dropped
for a few milliseconds, enough to miss a dit! That usually wasn't a problem, but
necessitated lots of "?? or "AGN?"...

I maintained cellphone/voice communications with Jim all along so there were no
surprises. Sunday went much smoother except for a late start due to "left
over" problems from Saturday. I drove over to Jim's house early to bring
him a replacement K3, in case it had a problem (turned out, it didn't). We got
off to a slightly late start with Jim operating at the beginning. There weren't
many "hiccups" along the day, and we almost fulfilled our scheduled
county run, missing JOH, I believe.

That's it. We stayed within the rules and had fun, thanks to all the folks we
worked and the ones who persisted until they got through! Oh, one final thing;
line noise (oddly enough) wasn't a problem ALL weekend! I remember in years
past, particularly in Nash county where the noise was like S9+10dB!!! Some
places in Florida when we operated FQP/mobile were really bad...but not THIS
weekend! Must be due to all the rain we've had in NC!

73, Bert & Jim