[3830] ARRLDX SSB KA4RLL SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 8 03:20:28 EST 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: KA4RLL
Operator(s): KA4RLL
Station: KA4RLL

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):
Remote Operation

Total:  133    71  Total Score = 28,329

Firstly, a big thank you to Mason KM4SII for letting me use his station
connected to the Remote Ham Radio console. This was my first 'actual' contest
and although I wasn't able to operate for a big chunk of the contest, I'm glad I
was able to get on the air, practice contesting and rack up some points.

The conditions weren't the best this weekend but it was still manageable enough
to get some DX in the log, even with 100W, a dipole for 40/80m & a delta
loop for 20m. I mainly focused on 20m and 40m as they were the most active bands
for me although I did make some contacts on 80m. However, Saturday was
definitely a lot better than Sunday and altogether, I did manage to contact a
lot of EU and SA stations.

One technical difficulty with the remote connection did occur which hindered me
from operating for a few hours but once Mason was available, he resolved it with
no further issue.

Around 15z on Sunday was quite challenging for me as alongside the deteriorating
band conditions, I had a fairly difficult time getting through most of the EU
pileups, especially with several overpowering stations on top of my signal.

One of the highlights of this contest for me was being able to contact a station
in VK land around 12z on Saturday as I've never made a phone contact that far
down south so it was quite exciting for me! In addition, staying up late and
waking up early was undoubtedly part of the contesting experience and was also
an aspect that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Well, that wraps up my first 'actual' contest and overall, I've had a blast
operating and making DX QSOs. Thank you to all who I made QSOs with and a
massive thanks to Mason for letting me use his station for almost the entire
day. Hope to see everyone in the next contest!

73 de Karl KA4RLL

Radio: FLEX-6300
Antennas:
80m: Dipole @ 50'