[3830] ARRLDX SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 8 12:16:02 EST 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs): 8:21

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   10:    8     4
-------------------
Total:  599   139  Total Score = 247,281

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Arrived at WX3B at 9:00am and plopped down for a good run on 20!  My good run
lasted about 2 hours before I noticed that it started to slow down.  I kept my
eye on 15 and never saw it fully open to Europe, something I had hoped might
happen late morning.  15 had a lot of loud South American signals, some good
Africans and from what I heard, a Skew Path opening to Europe for those that
were on the ball.

As K4ZW and K3ZO both mentioned in their writeups, it seemed the one country we
could count on in the mid and later afternoon was Italy!!  There were also other
southern latitude EUs and folks over the pole that called in late afternoon to
keep things interesting.  I even had a FP/mobile call - nice thrill.

I exited a slow 20 meters to run for for just long enough to get a few countries
on 40 in the log.  As fresh meat on 40 prior to sunset it is easy to run, may of
the callers are the ones that were just worked on 20 earlier in the day.

10 was open on and off and I made one sweep of the band for multipliers.

At the end of my shift - around 5:00pm I feasted on the loud JAs on 20 meters
including radio friends Elvin, JA3CZY who knows everyone - what a pileup to say
hello...and Jim JR3NZC.  It was nice hearing and working the other regular JAs,
most with really good signals!  I had a few folks answer my CQ but I still
worked more by pouncing.

This was a lot of fun packed into 8 hours for me.  I am hoping the band
conditions improve for the WPX SSB contest at the end of the month - I plan to
put more hours into that contest...hopefully for the last year...as a
single-op!

73,

Jim  WX3B