[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3EST(@N6RO) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 8 17:32:00 EST 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): K3EST
Station: N6RO

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: CA

   40: 1065    75
Total: 1063    75  Total Score = 229,175

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The conditions in the ARRL SSB were really poor on all bands towards Europe.
This provides a very rare situation where you can see how the west coast
compares to the east coast without Europe being a really significant factor.
I had 1063 Q’s and 75 mults while Phil, K3UA @ K3LR had 1027 and 97 mults.
More QSOs on 40 than LR….! Phil, I’ll never see that again! The saving grace
and “QSO win” for the west was into JA.
Fortunately for us, JA is at 305 degrees is not thru the aurora zone. Even so,
the JA opening made it as far east as AZ where ND7K had 569 JAs on 40. K3EST had
680.  Into Europe ND7K had 78 on 40, I had 34 A small summary: Europe  34 Qs
Mults ND7K: they worked ES, G, GW, OE, OK, ON and SP that I could not hear. I
spent some time trying to hear OK6, SN8, G6 and OE…never heard a peep. During
the late opening on Friday night ~ 06-7z PA7A, SM2M, SC3A, LN8W, EI9DH and GM5X
called in to CQ’s with the beams on JA. I found YL7X, UA2FZ at that time.
Thanks to CQing almost all the time, when it was deemed OK, the above Euros
called in which I never heard any other time. Also, LU4ZG, 6Y, YN, JW called
in…all unique mults. 40m never opened to any degree above Spain in zone 14.
Only one VERY weak DL and only 2 Fs.  Nothing heard from UK (except the GM
mentioned) or zone 15 above S5 except OM2VL. He was OK on Sat night during our
sunset.  Strangely not a signal from OH!  Usually, they have some big signals.
SM2M, SC3A and LN8W called in on their sunrise. LN8W was about 55. Into the
Pacific: 94 YB and 49 VK. ZS: 20!  When the first ZS was spotted and worked on
Friday night, one beam was put at 86 degrees. ZS2ABE was worked at 0311 and
ZS6CCY was very loud at 0407z. Calling CQ in Africa, I was hoping to have a rare
African call in, but the ZSs kept coming. Also in the LP morning opening at 265
degrees, several more ZS called in starting at 1545z. No other African country
called in to a CQ.  There was no LP into Europe…too much sunlight. There was a
chance for OH/UA1 and middle-east but nothing heard. Strange to never see
spotted or work was VR2 and 9V…The band was good to E2/HS at 14z both days to
SE Asia.  Conditions were spotty so perhaps they were in a non-spotlight area.
On Sat morning the YBs were everywhere with good signals. Lots of 100 watt guys.
On Sunday morning the strong stations were there but the smaller wattage guys
were not abundant.

Worked first JA at 0519 (919 pm local Friday and 219 pm Saturday in JA). Two
JA8s: JA8COE and JR8VSE. I have visited both stations. They are located in
central and northern Hokkaido (JA8).  They both have beams. The next two JAs
were also JA8s and then it opened big time to the rest of JA at ~ 0600z.
Japanese sunset in Sapporo was at 533 pm and Tokyo at 543 pm. You can see JA8COE
was worked more than 3 hours before his sunset.  This is sort of equivalent to a
good East coast station working Europe at 2pm when their local sunset is 555 pm.

Congratulations to everyone who stuck it out during TOUGH condx.

Thanks to Ken, N6RO for the use of his station…on-site; 4/4 on 40, also thanks
for pasta dinner on Saturday and conversations during slow times.

RATE
Day               Hr          Tot  Accum
2021-03-06 00   12   12   12
2021-03-06 01   22   22   34
2021-03-06 02   17   17   51
2021-03-06 03   18   18   69
2021-03-06 04   11   11   80
2021-03-06 05   17   17   97
2021-03-06 06   38   38   135
2021-03-06 07   114  114  249
2021-03-06 08   114  114  363
2021-03-06 09   70   70   433
2021-03-06 10   95   95   528
2021-03-06 11   82   82   610
2021-03-06 12   56   56   666
2021-03-06 13   66   66   732
2021-03-06 14   28   28   760
2021-03-06 15   22   22   782
2021-03-06 16     2    2    784
2021-03-07 00     2    2    786
2021-03-07 01   14   14   800
2021-03-07 02     9    9    809
2021-03-07 03     2    2    811
2021-03-07 04   11   11   822
2021-03-07 05     4    4    826
2021-03-07 06   28   28   854
2021-03-07 07   44   44   898
2021-03-07 08   51   51   949
2021-03-07 09   15   15   964
2021-03-07 10   17   17   981
2021-03-07 11   25   25   1006
2021-03-07 12   32   32   1038
2021-03-07 13   12   12   1050
2021-03-07 14     7    7    1057
2021-03-07 15     6    6    1063
Total                                  1063

Country
6Y             1
8P             1
9A             1