[3830] CWopsT K4BEN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 10 23:45:02 EST 2021

                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 0300Z Mar 11

Call: K4BEN
Operator(s): K4BEN
Station: K4BEN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 1
Remote Operation

Total:  46  Mults = 46  Total Score = 2,116

Dear fellow CW operators,

Tonight, I experienced the joy of operating in a CW contest for the first time.
I am a youth (of 17 years), and my friends finally convinced me to give it a
shot. My home station doesn't currently have a CW interface, so I borrowed my
friend W4IPC's station, which is a Flex Radio with a DX Commander vertical. I
decided to run the whole time, which probably did not help my score, but it was
a lot of fun holding my frequency and getting pounced on!

When the contest started, I called CQ for about two minutes before making my
first contact. For the first ten minutes, I made about one contact per minute,
which felt slow at first, but seemed to satisfy me after checking my score at
the ten minute mark. I continued at about this pace for a while until the
search-and-pounce stations thinned out.

Around the thirty-five minute mark, I decided to venture off to take a stab at
search-and-pouncing, but I had some bad luck and decided to head back to my
frequency to continue running. Unfortunately, I realized someone had taken my
frequency when I returned, but I was able to continue calling three-hundred
hertz above. My rate significantly decreased at this point in the contest, but I
pushed on as best as I could to make as many QSOs as possible. My rate
significantly suffered in the last fifteen minutes, but I made two contacts in
the fifty-six and fifty-seven minute mark each (to total four contacts), which
was quite exhilarating, and one last contact only a few seconds before the clock
rolled over.

After all is said and done, I had fun, and that's all that matters. Yes, maybe
several of my friends made over double the amount of QSOs as me. Maybe I made
some mistakes. I do care about my success; I am competitive, but to be able to
sit back after a contest and say "Well, I did alright. That wasn't amazing,
but I did it." is a great feeling to have. I am fervent to continue this
activity weekly, and I appreciate the work that each and every one of you do to
make this contest amazing.

Thanks, 73, and see you on the bands,
Ben K4BEN