[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1BA M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 17 21:08:51 EDT 2021

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N1BA
Operator(s): N1BA K40V
Station: N1BA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NH

   20: 1074    93
   15:  110    38
   10:    7     2
-------------------
Total: 1604   260  Total Score = 1,249,560

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Mr. Murphy left us pretty much alone this year. Plenty of prep time to get the
station ready this year. We added a pair of dipoles on 15 and 10 with hopes of
watching the 2nd receiver spectrum display to catch openings. Watching the
available Q's and mults pop up turned out to be just as good.  Band condx were
scary bad on Friday and that portended the lousy conditions on Saturday. Wow did
we suck on 40m at the beginning of the contest, we have never had such a
horrible first few hours. If we had not checked the two tower coax runs and
rebuilt the stackmatch and 2x6 controller before the test, I would have thought
our terrible rates were due to bad coax or a funky signal path.

Saturday improved and we started to feel loud, at least on 20m.  40m perked up
and it was fun to be called by ZS and YB0.

K40V did his usual great job on 80. He braved sitting in an enclosed aluminum
tube with a bunch of other germ-spouting humans for an hour to travel up to NH
and it was completely worth it. N1BA enjoyed using the fixed stack match to get
great signal reports on 20m all day. Things got fun on Saturday afternoon and
even better on Sunday morning when Q's kept on piling up on 20m

We decided to sleep, a LOT. we must be old. I couldn't believe the off times
when I saw the report.  Only 36 hours total in the chair!?  OMG.  This was
comfortable fun but we really weren't sure if everyone else was suffering with
the same lousy condx here in New England.

There were not very many jammers or misbehaving frequency squatters this year.
Maybe poor propagation made it less fun for them too :-).

This will be the last contest from N1BA's current QTH as we are moving a bit
north soon. And this will be last time we run the main computer on Vista.  Those
were the days! N1BA will be looking to guest op in the neighborhood once
everybody has vaccine on board.

Thanks to everyone for all the Q's, it was great to be ham that weekend.

73

Lee N1BA
Rob K4OV