[3830] VaQP K1HTV SOAB/MixedFixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 23 13:17:00 EDT 2021

                    Virginia QSO Party - 2021

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SOAB/MixedFixed LP
QTH: VA

  160:           2
   20:   87     13     118
   15:   10      7
   10:    1      8
    6:    1      9
    2:    0    183
  UHF:    0    103
----------------------------
Total:  373    687     118  Mults = 192  Total Score = 390,912

Club: Fauquier ARA

Comments:

Conditions on the HF  bands were pretty terrible on Saturday with a magnetic
storm in progress. The K Index remained at 4 for most of the contest until late
Sunday afternoon, when it dropped to 1. The mag storm really depressed
propagation but was I was able to contact 88 countries, mostly on CW with 19
made using FT4/FT8. It was tough working DX on SSB, but CW got through with low
power. I missed working 6 of the 48 continental States and didn't even hear
stations in Hawaii or Alaska, but did manage to work one station in Japan Sunday
evening.

On FT4 & FT8, In order to follow VQP rules, I created a Tx5 macro "CUL
VQP 73". CUL is the abbreviation for Culpepper County). When a station
answered my CQ DX, I pulled down the Tx5 macro and prepended the 3 digit QSO.
After receiving the station's Tx4 message, instead of me sending the normal Tx5
"73" message it sent the macro with the required QSO number and
county. The "space 73" at the end, when received by the other station,
ended his transmissions. If it was not copied, he would resend his Tx4 message.

Logging was done using the WSJT-X "Log QSO" window. The QSO number was
entered into the "Comments" field and "CUL" was typed into
the "Power" field which had a checkbox the allow the CUL to be
retained for each QSO. So for each QSO all I had to do was type in the sent QSO
number. After the contest, using Excel I opened the comma delimited
"wsjtx.log" file and formatted the QSO data and columns to match the
normal Cabrillo format. This file was submitted along with the N1MM+ Cabrillo
file where they were merged into one log.

It was kind of a pain logging FT4 and FT8 QSOs, but resulted in increasing the
final score to what appears to be a new VQP Single Op, LP record. The old record
was 389,658 and was held since 2011 by my son Andy, K1RA.

73,
Rich - K1HTV