[3830] WPX SSB ZF2PG(K8PGJ) SOAB Unassisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 29 15:27:38 EDT 2021

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: ZF2PG
Operator(s): K8PGJ
Station: ZF1A

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Unassisted
QTH: Cayman Islands
Remote Operation

Club: CARS

Comments:

First, Thanks to ZF1EJ for the use of his ZF1A Contest Station for a low power
endeavor. Also, a special thanks to NN1C and W9KKN for putting the Remoting
hardware together and providing the guidance when issues came up. And Thanks to
N6MJ for some guidance when working an International Contest as a single op from
this location.

While I have operated a big station like PJ2T as a M/M with High Power, working
LP as a single Op for 36 hours from the Caribbean taught many lessons. I had
planned to be there in 2020, but Covid stopped that. I worked from home as KV8O
with minimal antennas and LP and had a positive contest. I believe more people
were on the bands this weekend but propagation was only marginal and only in
certain directions at select times. Finding and holding a spot on 40m to work
internationally was very tough. Holding a spot on 20m was difficult early in the
day as the propagation moved. I could not even hear a station on 160m.

On the flip side, large runs were possible on 15m and then on 20m late in the
day but mostly to the US. 10 meter runs were not possible but finding some
multipliers into SA did occur. And I did start working on SO2R first on 40/80
and then on 10 meter as a second band.

Technically, there were NO issues with the station and hardware. Everything
worked. No power or internet problems occurred. And it was good to hear some of
the local CARS members for cheering me on.

Thanks for all the QSO's.
ZF2PG/K8PGJ