[3830] WPX CW VC3A(VE3NNT) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 30 20:18:59 EDT 2021

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: VC3A
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VC3A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 35:

   20: 1158

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Well, that was a blast, even being plagued by equipment problems and sleeping
through my alarm Sunday morning.

I slept in 2 hours past my alarm Sunday morning, and when I finally got on the
bands, 20m was so poor that I thought my antenna was disconnected. Luckily, we
had 15m and 10m openings, and 20m did get better later in the afternoon. I
didn't have much action on 80m with the high noise level.

I think many people were confused by my call sign. It didn't help that the
clusters posted me as KC3A.

Overall, I had slightly fewer contacts that last year but more multip0liers, so
a better score.

Did I mention equipment problems? My Flex6600M packed it in Friday. It wouldn't
boot, so I panicked and drove back to the city to buy another one, getting back
home 2 hours before the start of the contest, just in time to connect and
configure the new rig and have a quick dinner. I don't feel bad about doing this
because I'm one step closer to having the multi-two station setup that I'd like,
and it's always good to have a backup in case something fails.

I'm still practically down to one radio since my 4O3A 1A2R switch has a faulty
relay that drops the receive level on radio 1 by 20 dB intermittently. I should
get this fixed, but later this year, I'll be acquiring a Power Genius XL and
Tuner Genius, which will make the 4O3A 1A2R switch redundant.