[3830] WPX CW IT9VDQ(@IB9T) SOSB10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 31 06:02:34 EDT 2021

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: IT9VDQ
Operator(s): IT9VDQ
Station: IB9T

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH: Palermo
Operating Time (hrs):

Total: 1121  Prefixes = 487  Total Score = 598,523

Club: ARIPA DX Team

Comments:

The race got off to a bad start @ IB9T contest site, with the wind having
destroyed the 6el OWA for 10m a few days before! I thought not to participate,
but the desire of CW, after so many months of forced QRT because Covid's law
limitations, was too strong. Then, only a J-pole and our usual second yagi, a
small 3 elements @ just 5 meters up the roof, not rotatable and fixed to North,
were my available “antenna farm”! The first day was a real disappointment,
with band closed already at 16:30 local time and very bad and really strange
conditions: I saw on DXMaps that the North EU worked hard and we, in the South
part, were in really poor conditions! I closed on Saturday with only 300 QSOs,
seeing on Livescore that the best (in the north) had closed with more than
500/550 QSOs, something never seen in past years on 10m, here in IT9! Sunday
started worse than Saturday, with the PC station dead at restart: luckily, an
old CR2032 battery saved the situation and I was able to start around 08:00
local time. Completely different and funny day compared to Saturday, with the
closing of the band around 19:30 local time and incredibly goos conditions for
the tiny "3el fixed to North". A good condition of Sporadic-E opened
immediately, with furious pileups of stunning Europeans and some UA9/UA0, every
now and then! The real surprise was the call by Mike VE9AA and later another
couple of US from the East Coast and later NN7CW; excellent conditions and, of
course, deeply fluctuating signals. I took courage to go and chase some mults,
going in search of PFXs calling and working USA, CX, PY, D4, PZ5, KP2 and
several others nice DXs, always by a "3el 5 meters high and fixed to the
North"!!! Also had some puzzling sporadic acts of deliberate QRM, as
always, they did not bring any results. Fabulous conditions, closing with +1100
QSOs and great fun! One regret: who knows what could have been done with our
usual 6el OWA, at 18 meters above the ground, as main rotable antenna...? Thanks
everyone for QSOs ... Giù, IT9VDQ