[3830] CQWW SSB VA7BEC SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 02:30:01 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC
Station: VA7BEC

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: NR Vancouver

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    9     2        2
   40:   53     5        4
   20:  365    19       32
   15:  166    12       22

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

A look at propagation charts and other components of CONDX prior to start time
might have deterred me. A looming effort in futility. Perhaps raking leaves
would be more productive, I pondered. Yet I had to try. Because you never know
how things will go if you don't try, right? Friday night was dreadful. Worse
than dreadful. Saturday morning didn't provide much joy, either. I kept hoping
that at some point, antennas would point northward and westward, and I'd be
heard. Happily, Saturday afternoon brought a delightful run on 20m, and Sunday
saw lots of 15m Qs added to the log. Surprise, surprise. 10m was a blank.

So, given Friday's dismal attempt, I thought I'd be lucky to hit 100 Qs. How
embarrassing! But after passing the 300-Q mark on Saturday afternoon, I
cautiously set a target of 500 Qs. I exceeded that, so I'm happy. Not my best,
but under the circumstances, not bad.

Every contest has its memorable moments. This time around, I found it rather
amusing that twice I was referred to as "XYL" -- once in a pileup
situation when the CQer said "the XYL". At first I thought there might
be a callsign with "XYL" but no one responded so I threw out my
callsign again and got picked up right away; the other time was rather cute, as
the operator commented that I was his "first XYL contact". Now how did
these guys know I'm married, eh?

Thanks to everyone in the log. Much appreciated. Lovely to hear so many familiar
callsigns and to exchange a hello along with "59 03". See you all
again soon.

73
Rebecca VA7BEC