[3830] CQWW SSB K4HQK SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 13:28:48 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

   80:   12     7       10
   40:   75    14       46
   20:   46     9       28
   15:   10     4       10

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Friday night was murderous with QRM. Signals were piled up or heavily
overlapping. It was a struggle on 80m and 40m for me to work a few EU and
Caribbean stations before throwing up my hands and going QRT.

Saturday morning on 40m, signals from Oceania (e.g. ZM1A at S9) were strong but
competition was lined up around the block. That afternoon QRM on 20m let up a
bit and delivered TF3T to me, a treat after having visited Iceland last July.
Until then it had been all EU zones 14 and 15, but now I began hearing PY, HP,
HI, etc. from zone 8 and vicinity. At 2000 EDT I worked OH8 and RA9. Then I
switched to 40m to finish the evening with more EU QSOs.

Sunday 0630 EDT on 40m the Oceania signals were one-fourth what they'd been
Saturday morning, but competition was down and I snagged VJ4K, KH7M, HD8R, a few
in the Caribbean, and, strangely, a loud GM5X. Noticed around 7158 a strong,
pulsing buzz several kHz wide.

Before noon I worked a few on a well-activated 15m (all EU), then shut down and
headed into D.C. for a lengthy museum visit followed by dinner. Back home early
evening, I worked a few more EUs on 80m and ended as the contest closed at 2000
EDT.

John K4HQK

Station: IC-7410, ALS-600, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and dipoles.