[3830] CQWW SSB W6PH SO(A)SB15 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 15:36:34 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SO(A)SB15 HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA

   15:  588    33      104

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

K3S  Expert 1.3K-FA   Win-Test
5 el yagi (31 ft boom) at 60 feet

I had a bunch of obligations this weekend.  Dinner with friends on Friday
evening, tree trimmers here on Saturday, Halloween in Tehachapi on Sunday.  I
only have one antenna in the air.  So I decided to play around on 15 meters.

I started Saturday morning at 9 am and the band was full of Europeans.  I just
ran down the cluster list working one after another.  The conditions were better
than I have seen for many years and it was great.  After a quick dinner I went
back out to my shack and worked Asians until well after dark.  I ended the day
with 9 hours BIC, 504 contacts, 31 zones, and 92 countries.  The SFI was 108,
A=3, K=1.  I really felt loud.

On Sunday morning I was out in the shack before 9 am and just a few Caribbeans
were coming through.  I kept waiting for the band to open to Europe and it just
didn't happen.  The elevated A index (25 decreasing to 8) was evident on the
polar path and signals were weak.  I was able to add zone 16 but zone 20 eluded
me.  I operated about five hours before we had to head to Tehachapi.  I only
added 84 contacts, 2 zones, and 12 countries to my Saturday total.  Many
stations just CQed in my face.

I had sand kicked in my face a number of times in pile ups by W6YI and KK6P.
Both had really great scores.

I call this a casual operation.  I only called CQ when the band was open to Asia
on Saturday afternoon and evening.  Everything else was S&P.

CQWW CW at ND7K.

73, Kurt W6PH