[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOSB10 Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 1 16:43:14 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB10 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV

   20:   57    22       22
   15:  149    17       52
   10:  570    25       82

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Cycle 25 has come alive! I was expecting below normal conditions with the dire
solar storm forecast. Strangely enough about the worst K index of 5 was when 10
meters was at its best Sunday morning, very surprising! I started out planning
to do 15M SB, but the QRM, congestion, and splatter made me wish for an
alternative after making 99 15M Q's. I switched to 10 at 1329Z and was rewarded
immediately rewarded with QSO's with HA7RY, S58D, EI7M, and E7AA. E7AA was an
enormous 25-30 db over S9 severely QRM'ing EI7M just above. The EU fest
continued for an hour with the focus on mainly on Italy, the Balkans, and
Germany. There were at least 10 Sicilians active many of which were worked then.
EW5A was the only northern EU who snuck through. Most QSO's were S&P, a few
run until 14Z. FR4KR was found with a good signal. Right around 1430, the band
started opening to SA, but it was not until 1736Z that any PY station was loud
enough to be worked. Before then some LU, and CX signals were loud and HD8R was
found. For most of the contest HD8R was just above the noise to maybe S5 here
with stronger signals in the morning. Surprise mults were A73A, HZ1SK at 1522
well after EU disappeared, and OX7A at 1622Z. Central America was workable, but
no Caribbean until 1804Z except for CM and ZF worked on probable Es. Many
stations went from fairly loud to unreadable or very weak in just a few minutes;
constant searching paid off. Between 1730-2210Z conditions remained excellent to
zones 6,7,9 and farther south. Zone 8 stations were coming through well after
1835, but activity in that zone was not as high as your usual CQWW. I found
first KH7 at 2022 and caught ZM4 and VK4 right around my sunset for areas never
to be heard Sunday.

Sunday morning. I was expecting a slow day with the K index rising. At 1228Z
there were EU signals on 10, but mostly weak and difficult to work through
louder stations NE of me. ED1R was first in log. Suddenly, at 1339Z I tried
CQ'ing and the band blew wide open to mostly western Europeans from Italy and
Germany to the west, Thank goodness for Dutch stations, a great turnout! Most
signals were very loud. I worked 126 stations in the 15Z hour running on 28525.
At 1509Z a loud SF6U called in followed by LA, OZ, ES, and OH all by 1532Z. SE
EU was left out here, no Q's with UA, UR, LZ, or YO despite working LY, EW, and
YL as well. It was a lot of fun to work my first major EU opening of the cycle
and be able to run with LP. There's no meters like TEN meters.

FYI, conditions were good to excellent over the pole in the evening on 15 and 20
meters here. I heard about a dozen Chinese stations on 20, worked 3 including a
booming B0A in zone 23. Also heard 7A2, 4G0, E2E and E2A. The JA's peaked on 15M
here about 24Z Saturday evening which is an hour and 45 minutes past my sunset.
The op time listed was for all bands, not just 10M.

Many thanks for the calls and QSO's, excellent activity from our SA friends in
CE, LU and PY. Hopefully, next year will be even better. CU in CQWW CW.

73, Jeff