[3830] CQWW SSB W1DYJ SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 2 17:09:21 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    9     7        8
   40:   53    11       33
   20:  124    21       58
   15:  128    19       58
   10:  115    15       43

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

When I got back into Ham Radio in 1994, after 25 years away from
this great avocation, I remembered my love of contesting.  Back
then it was only VHF phone. But in 2011 when my colleague Tony,
K1KP (at HP Medical in Andover, no longer in existence) insisted
that I become a member of the YCCC I was suddenly involved with
the “CW-Centric” YCCC (with my VERY meager CW skills).  Since
then I have come to enjoy CW and RTTY contests more than PH.

So it was with some trepidation that I looked to this weekend’s
CW WW SSB.  Even though I had entered it for the past 15 years,
I assumed it would be like the past few years – no sunspots, plus
a CME approaching!  Friday night proved it – not much was happening.
I went to bed with a total of 486 points.

But I still set my usual goals:  a personal best (unlikely given
the sunspot peak seven or eight years ago), AK on 80 to finish
5BWAS, and any new country-bands I could work.

Waking up Saturday morning around 6:30, I decided to see what
was happening and 15 was open.  Perhaps this wasn’t to be too
bad after all.   Well, as others have stated, it was a good
contest:  10 didn’t match 7 or 8 years ago, 20 and 15 did and
40 was a best effort.  I really need something better on 80,
not to mention anything on 160.   This turned out to be my 2nd
best score of the past 15 years, at 96% of my best score in 2013.
And as my error rate has been decreasing over the years, it may
actually be a personal best!

RIG: TS590SG
ANTENNAS:
     80/40  trapped 80/40m “slightly inverted-v” dipole @ 35'
            >> never got my improved 80m dipole up, and still need
               to replace the 160 wires I had last year here in MA
     Roof Tower:  20  HB Moxon @ 36'
                  15  HB Rotatable Dipole @ 33'
                  10  HB 5el yagi @ 30'
Actual BIC = 13 hours