[3830] CQWW SSB AB1J SO(A)SB15 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 4 07:35:04 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO(A)SB15 LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 6:27

   15:  61     15       36
Total:  61     15       36  Total Score = 8,415

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

When I got up on Saturday morning to do a single band 15m LP operation my
"contest" voice just died.  I have an articulation problem which makes
phone difficult and it's gotten worse with age.  Phone contests are now too much
strain.  Recently I had to rerecord my phone answering machine message and was
dismayed to hear how I sounded. I've decided my phone days are done and gone.
I'm  downsizing and have no interest in acquiring voice keyers or any more gear.
My interest in SSB in the past was to get awards and I now have all the ones I
want.

15m was in great shape, though.  The 6500's panadapter was awesome to behold,
smokin', although that meant lots of QRM that I couldn't cut through. I had the
feeling there was a lot of pent up Covid-19 energy just waiting to bust out.

The sun's average rotation period is 27 days and if sunspots persist sometimes
conditions will repeat in that period. It's 27 days from October 31 to the WW-CW
in November so maybe these good conditions will come back for the WW-CW contest.
Halloween II.

So I had a few QSOs but soon gave up.  Otherwise, Saturday was a perfect fall
contest day, rainy and drizzly outside but inside I was snug in my shack. I had
one of those oil-filled heaters at my side (looks kinda like an old fashioned
cast iron radiator) which works well. Slow, but nice, even heat.

Used both the attic antenna and outside 40m stealth wire on 15m. Both worked low
average, which is high level for me.

Sunday was another kind of perfect fall contest day, bright, warmer with
sunlight pouring in. My voice was better and I had some fun in the contest but
it was the eleventh hour and too late. The initial 15m frenzy on Saturday had
died down, but activity (QRM) was boosted by all the Sunday drivers who showed
up, so I worked outside instead of inside on 15m.

All-in-all a mixed weekend and I doubt if I'll do any significant phone
contesting again. I won't really miss it, but to be a compleat contester I feel
one should be fluent in CW, SSB and RTTY, so in that sense I'm disappointed.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  W1VE for spots  PSKReporter -> ViewProp for FT8
"beacon" activity
15m attic dipole
66' outdoor endfed stealth wire on 15m with indoor counterpoise; ancient manual
Dentron tuner
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog