[3830] UR DX VJ3A(VK3JA) SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 7 04:20:53 EST 2021

                    Ukrainian DX Contest - 2021

Call: VJ3A
Operator(s): VK3JA
Station: VJ3A

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Rural Melbourne

  160:    0     0       0
   80:    0     0       0
   40:  102     0      42
   20:  158     0      52
   15:   88     0      34
   10:    0     0       0
---------------------------
Total:  348     0     128  Total Score = 203,392

Club: VK Contest Club

Comments:

I am Steve VK3JA operating the first CW contest on the calendar with one of the
new Australian 2x1 contest callsigns just issued this month -  VJ3A.  I never
heard any other Aussie contesters in this contest so I may have been the first
to expose two new prefixes to the CW contesting world – VJ and VL which are
brand new.

In S&P mode my VJ prefix was so strange I had a great deal of difficulty
getting it across.  Many thought I was 4J in Georgia instead of VJ from
Australia so many, many repeats were required and I suspect many of my Q’s
were logged improperly on the other end.

Running CQ was a happy surprise however.  Propagation was very good on 20M SP to
EU at the start so I was able to generate a steady run rate with some pileups
waiting.  This gave stations a chance to hear my callsign many times so
“VJ3” was finally understood.   The rest of the contest weekend was very
satisfying as long as I stayed away from S&P which remained difficult until
the final minutes.

20M was pipeline at the beginning of the contest to EU and on my daybareak 40M
was also excellent with good run rates possible.  The propagation indexes fell
off as the contest period moved on so run rates declined but still some good
exchanges.

My QRZ.com page has shown almost 1000 lookups since the contest start so a lot
of listeners are checking to see where  the strange VJ3 prefix is located.

Thanks to all who called and I hope you all will get used to VJ and VL as new VK
prefixes.
These 2x1 contest calls have been waited for here for many years.

See you in the CQ WW and please work the new VJ and VL’s you will certainly be
hearing.
.
73  Steve VJ3A (VK3JA)