[3830] SS CW K6YT(W0YK) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 12:39:11 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K6YT
Operator(s): W0YK
Station: K6MTU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 22:38
Remote Operation

Club: Pizza Lovers 259

Comments:

I probably set a new world record for fill requests in a single contest.  The
patience and accommodation of my QSO partners was remarkable.   ;>)

Starting with the first QSO, there were audio dropouts due to recent
deterioration of my 3.1 mile microwave link to the K6MTU remote station.  The
link has been rock solid with 20-25 dB of SNR since installation this summer ...
until a major storm a couple weeks ago when the SNR dropped to 10 dB.  This is
likely a result of 100+ mph wind gusts, including rain, that may have misaligned
the dish.  Still, the remaining 10 dB has been working well.

This weekend is the first extended operation I've done with the link and I
thought it would be fine.  Unfortunately, that plan didn't work so well because
the remaining 10 dB of SNR on the link decreased to zero continually due to wind
blowing tree branches into the RF path.  The resulting audio dropouts included
skewed timing so that even partial number characters couldn't be discerned.
Then, the few folks using cut numbers extended the number of repeat requests
accordingly.

Quitting was top of mind the whole contest period, but I had committed my effort
to the PL259 club and my log was needed for one of the ten total.  I felt bad
about subjecting everyone to these endless fill requests, but everyone seemed to
go along with it.  More opportunity to operate!  Two or three QSOs worth of
operating for each logged QSO!  The LCR should be interesting.

Weather permitting, we have some tower work to see if we can restore the link
integrity.

Ed W0YK