[3830] SS CW K0AV Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 8 12:47:41 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K0AV
Operator(s): K0AV
Station: K0AV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Colorado Springs
Operating Time (hrs): 6:56

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Original plan was for a QRP entry.

I was able to get power company out on Thursday before company to fix RFI leaks
on 7200 volt line in alley behind my QTH.  These poles were installed at least
50 years ago - and have endured hot, dry weather, critter incinerations, and
multiple lightning strikes over these many years. Two months ago the utility
inspected and determined these poles were literally falling down.  The poles and
hardware are scheduled to be replaced in early 2022.

At my request, two crews came out on Thursday before the SS - to help cleanup
the resurgent RFI.  And, they got it quieted down to nothing.  However, with
several hours, it was back - and seems even stronger and constant.  This raises
my noise floor by 20 dB toward the east.

Changed plans:  Search and Pounce with low power, and beam to north (at right
angles to the noise) and try to work 84 sections in 84 QSO's.

Despite hours of meticulously going up and down the bands I never heard WV (!)
or NL or PE.

But, with the beam north, I did hear 4 NT stations, VY1CO, VY1AAA, VY1KX and
VY0ERC.  Also heard 3 VI stations: KJ0D/KP2, W4LIS and KP2M.

After hours of just looking for the missing mults, I couldn't take it anymore -
so on Sunday I started a short 50 QSO "fresh meat" run to get the
kinks out.  Then it was time to go outside and enjoy the warm sunny weather.

73, Alan K0AV