[3830] SS CW W6YX Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 9 18:12:08 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): W6LD N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Stanford

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

John, W6LD, and I split the operating time with John taking the Saturday evening
shift on 40 and 80 while I handled the remainder.

After seeing some signals on 10 I started with one radio there and a second
radio on 15. I made one Q on 10 immediately but had a problem receiving on 15
that took 5 minutes to understand and fix (don't remember the issue now). The
one Q was it for 10 and I quickly switched to just running with the single radio
on 15. At the end of the hour I moved the second radio to 20 and made one Q for
a total of 100 in the first hour.

The second hour was SO2R on 15 and 20, figuring out how to optimize 2BSIQ with
the long exchange, adding 109 Qs. By the middle of the third hour 15 was gone so
I switched to 20/40 2BSIQ, adding 97 Qs.

When 20 faded out I switched the second radio to 40 on an inverted vee,
intending to work spots while running on 40 with the Yagi. I saw VY1AAA spotted
low on 40 who was weak but good copy on the inverted vee with no callers, so I
called and added the NT mult. VY2TT had been spotted and also easily worked with
the inverted vee for our only PE.

That brought us up to 78 mults and I had just given out NR 500 when John took
over at around 0220. Within a few minutes he had new mults AB and MAR call on
40, then jumped on spots to work NNY and VI, bringing us up to 82. Over 2 hours
later John worked W6PH in ORG on 80, who had been loud on 20 but with a pileup,
for mult 83. John shut down for the night at 0809Z with 762 Qs but still needing
NL for the sweep.

I started up again at 1224Z. Trying to run on 80 and 40 was not very productive
so it was mostly clicking on spots and trying to break through to more easterly
stations while they were working others closer to them. After a half hour I saw
VO2AC spotted on 40 and completed the sweep.

In the end we had worked at least 2 of all mults except PE. We worked only 2
each of NL, ONN and WTX but the remaining 80 mults we worked 3 or more of.

We've given a CK of 24 since 1974 when I first operated SS from