[3830] SS CW K9ZO Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 9 21:15:02 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: il
Operating Time (hrs): 23:34

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

I heard all sections except LA.  Could not get through the pileups to VY2ZM
(PE), VO2AC (NL), VY1KX & VY0ERC (NT).  I have not turned on the heat in the
shack yet, so was tempted to enter high power, but so many antennas are not
working that I was not competitive.  It was interesting to compare the 80 meter
4 square with an inverted vee.  The 4 square is better to the west coast, and
occasionally better to the east.  Of course, the SteppIR did not work no 40. The
inverted vee on 40 which is shared with the 80 feedline has 1.7 SWR, so needed
the tuner.  The SteppIR was OK on 20, but high SWR on bidirectional.  It worked
on 15, and fortunately the band was only open out west.  Last year I was able to
get answers to CQs; not this year, though. In general I felt weak and often got
no response when calling guys.  I spent a lot of time tuning and found it hard
to work new guys.  All of Sunday produced about 250 contacts!  I'll continue
building the station.  Today's activities included using a chain saw and ladder!
 During a break the highlight was working SO1OO on 30 meters for a new DXCC
Challenge country.  The XYL brought excellent meals to the shack.