[3830] WAE RTTY K0ZR Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 14 19:05:26 EST 2021

                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY - 2021

Call: K0ZR
Operator(s): K0ZR
Station: K0ZR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA

   80:  130     0   104
   40:  339   331   174
   20:  285   306   142
   15:  334   629   124
   10:    3     0     4
-------------------------
Total: 1091  1266   548  Total Score = 1,291,636

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I ventured into RTTY only some two months ago.  This was my third contest and
obviously the first for WAE RTTY. I had thought I would give it only a marginal
effort since CQWW CW is two weeks away.  As things often go, I got into it and
decided to invest more time, like 28 hours.

RTTY is known to stress things and that certainly was the case with my homebrew
20m KW bandpass filter.  With about 30 minutes in the contest remaining, the
VSWR got unacceptably high.  I stopped contesting to investigate and indeed one
of the mica capacitors looks "fried".  There are four capacitors in
the affected parallel resonant circuit; both series and parallel to a) handle
the voltage and b) handle the current.  This filter served me well for four
years, even through some earlier RTTY contests.  I'm happy it failed now rather
than at the beginning of CQWW CW.  Now I've got to see what capacitors I have
from the building project of 2017-2018.

15m dried up for me around noon time Sunday so I did yard work until around 5 PM
.  In doing so I found that the far end of my 500 foot Beverage was pinned to
the ground by a fallen branch so a couple hours were spent rerouting that window
line and while I was at it, make it a little higher so the deer don't create
another problem.

All in all it was a great contest for me and I look forward to next year's.  I
did SO2R with this contest and found a couple times forgetting that I was
S&P on a particular radio rather than "Run" so I had to make some
apologies :-).  Thanks for all the QSOs.