[3830] JIDX SSB K3EST(@N6RO) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 14 21:44:58 EST 2021

                    JIDX Contest, Phone - 2021

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): K3EST N6RO W6DMN WX5S
Station: N6RO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Remote Operation

  160:    1     1
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  721   149  Total Score = 112,048

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

WE WERE M2 NOT M/S. THE M2 CATEGORY IS NOT PROVIDED ON 3830

Glad to take part in the new M2 category. It provides more fun for DX and JA
ops. We had 3 of 4 ops on site. The low and high band openings allowed for an
easy parsing of operating assignments: 3 at night and 3 during the day.
Conditions were variable. The JIDXC is an interesting contest in that the high
bands have only one opening while the low bands 2.
Here are the ops comments.
N6RO: Ken, N6RO primary job was 80, 160 10, filled in on 20m towards the close.
Lack of JA activity was extreme on those three bands.  80 propagation was OK,
but not strong.  Probably sent F1 about 2000 times, managing 38 Qs in 15 hours
in the chair. Now that's RATE! Best Q was Okinawa 47, on 80m.  While letting the
DVK loop dueling CQs on 160/10.and sipping Sake, I watched two recorded football
games. 10 provided 2 Qs beaming VK and JA at the same time.
David, W6DMW took 40 the first night. I had a blast and it was great to use and
get comfortable with a K3. 0733 was when the calling was finally fruitful.  The
first 30 minutes had me calling into thin air but was a great time to get
comfortable on the radio.  There was an amazing amount of noise all through the
night which made 7.132-39 almost useless.  In all, it was much more challenging
than expected which made the shift much more enjoyable than I had expected.
Thank you for the QSOs and thank you for the patience with the repeats!
Bob, K3EST took 40 the second night and 15m. On 40 we managed to work 47
prefectures missing only Saga in JA6. Lucky to have JD1 call in. Conditions were
OK but not great. As usual, 40 has a great abundance of squeals and whistles and
after about 3am local wall to wall YB stations…Finding a semi-clear freq was a
skill in itself!  Just a note that the LP to Africa was great with many ZS
heard…while tuning around.  Thanks to the many JAs who heard us,

The band on 15 opened about 2115 and closed 0215. During that time period the
signals varied from strong to weak .After JA went out the band went long and
VR2/YB were 59 for another 30 minutes.

Matt, WX5S took the 20 meter opening. Condx were so so and there was a
continuous flow at a low rate for several hours. 20 is always difficult to catch
a lot of multipliers since the JA population is less than 40  and 15. Thanks to
all the JAs who called in.