[3830] SS SSB N7XU(K4XU) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 21 22:07:07 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Oregon

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Slow start.  My station is not set up for ssb. I changed which rig drove which
amp, changed headsets, hung a new 75m vertical, etc. I was not going to use SO2R
but when I got up to 78 mults I realized that it might be possible to sweep. The
#2 radio (k3+P3) was used only for searching -- looking for pileups. The main
rig used to run with the Alpha 86. It was not very workable but when I found
something I needed, I'd alt-F6 and put it on the main radio, even is I had to
retune the amp. That got me VE2 and VO2. I got called by everything else. VY1CO
was my 50th QSO, on 15m no less. Thanks Scott! EWA, a real tough one out here,
called me early Sunday morning on 40m. NNY called me on 20m. Those were my
uniques, all the other mults had at least two each.

This is the first time I've really pushed on phone SS in a very long time and
the first SS with an amplifier. I went all weekend with the beam due east. I
could hold a frequency unless some left coaster crawled up my back. Fortunately
there was some short skip that made escaping that condition fairly easy.

Its nice to see all the low check numbers. The median ck was 69. "Please
copy" seems destined to become a fixture of SSB operating though nobody
with with more than a few hundred QSOs used it. I'm getting cranky in my old
age!

Thanks for the weekend fun, now back to CW.

73,
Dick