[3830] SS SSB VE4VT Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 21 22:37:55 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20:45

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

That may have been the most difficult conditions in SS-SSB I have seen since
2006.
Very fast fading on all bands. An exchange would start 59 quality and the signal
would vanish before the exchange was received. A special challeng when receiving
those "Q" signals.

Bailed on 20m Saturday evening to try and get a spot on 40m after about 90
minutes.  By then the east coast folks had pretty much established themselves
across the entire band. Found a little slice to run despite the horrific QRM The
band did not last long and went long very quickly. On top of that there was a
very consistent atmospheric noise coupled with the fading making conditions very
challenging.

Operating 80m from this city lot is one step below dental surgery.  When 40 went
long, there was no choice but to try and find a spot on 80.  It was difficult to
break the east coast QSO party going o. Conditions werwe so bad that I took a
couple hours off to watch the second half of the football game.

Went back for some more torture on 80m but called it quits early still needing
ND, AK, LAX, NT, NL, ONN, and SFL???

20m showed the same rapid QSB as 40 and 80 had Saturday. Finding running room
was the usual challeng and lost more frequency battles than I won.

15m was open very strong to the west coast and Florida, to a lesser extent the
New England States.

Had pretty much given up on the sweep still needing ND, AK and NL. After loosing
yet another frequency battle on 20m, went to 40m and was called by ND0TS.  Not
long after VO1KVT called in for a surprise NL mult.

Late Sunday afternoon I still needed AK and swung the antennas north and went on
a search of 20m.  Finally found AL1G up high in the band for the sweep.

Around 00:30z, all of a sudden, the noise and QSB ended and signals on 40m
returned to normal quality.   A little too late for this guy...

Thanks for the Q's and all the repeats.

73 Ed VE4VT