[3830] SS SSB K3WJV SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 01:20:41 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: EPA

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Score not as good as the last 2 years not surprisingly since its a phone contest
and an elective one at that. Our club doesn't get many entrants for this test as
its just something to do while waiting for CQWW next weekend. No motivation
might have crept in too, hi.

But in review I had over 500 Q's on 80 the last 2 years and had more Q's on 20
& 40 this year.  Part of the fun was using the new K4 on phone.  I've had it
since Oct 6 but only set up the xmit audio equalization Saturday night.  It was
a shame sitting there looking at the pretty K4 display without actually using it
or the rig so I duplicated the settings of my K3 and gave it a test ride.  Only
short coming was the DVK of the K4 is not yet implemented in firmware so running
was a chore mainly for no CQ msg and the long exchange of this test does have
consequences.  I think I stopped running almost all times due to fatigue plus
motivation, hi.  My voice always gives out in a phone test because I scream due
to the headphones but I normally talk very loud too.  Bad combo.

Did have fun & enjoyment though bumping into all my cw pals and wondering
how many times we actually had phone Q's with them.  I had my main log in
another tab to check now and then but its just a pleasure to be able to say a
few words to the "gang".  Lots of CwOps club members do this test so
enjoyed the mutual recognition of the callsigns.  Glad this test is only half
the weekend though.

Rural wooded location 1255ft ASL

K4 & Acom 2000a
K3/P3 & KPA1500

2el K4KIO 5 band Hexbeam @30ft  G-450A rotor & Green Heron controller
40m/80m/short 160(traps) Inv vees @ 40ft
Rx ant - 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbog

SO2R(2 keyboard) >> TopTen DxDoubler-Band Aides-relays-W2VJN stubs
VA6AM triplexer with high power BPF\'s 10-20mtrs
N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger