[3830] SS SSB K2PO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 22 23:29:27 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K2PO
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Oregon

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Fun time, although 24 hours in the chair is a struggle with the low rates at the
end.

The contest started with great rates, of 129 and 127 Qs/hr.  But then it dropped
to 88, and then to 45 as folks left 20 and moved to 40.  The east coast is two
hops from here, and a low power station on the west coast has a tough time
getting heard over the east-of-the-Mississippi crowd working each other with S9+
signals.  My rate never got above 40/hr until 14 hours later, when 20m finally
re-opened Sunday morning.  Those low band hours sure pass slowly.

I slept 3.5 hours overnight, hoping rate would pick up on the low bands with
some new participants from the east coast on Sunday morning.  But it was worse -
single digit rates, so I took the rest of my off-time.  Finally 20m opened here
in the 15z hour, and I got in two hours of adrenaline-pumping rates.  Then it
was rates of 40s, then 30s, and then 20s (including a 20) until time ran out at
0300z.

I worked three (!) NT stations.  My last section for the Sweep was one I can see
out the shack window: EWA.  (Tnx N7MGW!)  Oddly, he came back to my 15m CQ at
local noon on Sunday from his QTH 215 miles away.  My singleton sections were
EWA, VI, NL and BC (!).  Ohio, Minnesota and Virginia tied for the most-worked
sections (53 Qs each).

My goal, going into the contest, was to beat my 2019 score, which I figured
would probably be comparable condition-wise.  I topped that score by 38 QSOs,
which I count as a somewhat larger success since scores, overall, seem down a
bit from 2019 (using K5TR and W7WA as yardsticks).

'Great to hear all the recently-licensed participants - many of them proficient
ops already.

Half of the stations I worked gave me serial numbers below 47.  Those casual ops
are the ones who keep radiosport going.  We owe them our thanks.

73,

/Bill, K2PO
Portland, OR